Yellow teeth are a dire problem and it is very probable that neither brushing nor flossing may be able to address the issue and therefore it is essential for almost everyone to learn how to get rid of yellow teeth in the most effective ways. At this juncture, the first question which needs to be answered is that why do teeth start yellowing?
Stains are the main factor which is responsible for this yellowing of teeth. These stains may either be superficial or they may have penetrated deep inside your gums. There may be other factors too but here we would be focusing on teeth stains which result in discoloration.
What causes teeth stains?
There are various causes which are responsible for these teeth stains. They may be caused due to excessive intake of coffee and cigarettes or they may be a consequence of acids from sodas, candies and other junk food. Gradually with age, your teeth enamel may also wear down. This thinning of enamel can make your teeth look yellowish. Also, kids who take lots of fluoride or antibiotics may grow up to be adults having yellow stained teeth. At other times, it may simply be because of hereditary causes or your particular genetic makeup.
Prevention from Yellow Teeth
Whatever the causes may be, there are a number of home remedies as well as over-the-counter products for teeth whitening. However, before moving on to these teeth whitening remedies, we would first discuss some preventive measures which can come in really handy in learning how to get rid of yellow teeth. After all, prevention is always better than cure.
- Avoid smoking.
- Try to cut down on your intake of coffee, nicotine and sodas.
- Whenever you eat or drink anything with acidic content in it, dry to drink plain water afterwards so that the acid doesn’t erode your teeth enamel.
- Make a regular and appropriate teeth brushing and flossing routine.
- Try to avoid snacks between your daily meals.
- Also, if you are afraid that your child suffers from dry mouth, then before using any fluoride products, make sure that you consult a doctor/dentist and then use the products as per his advice.
It has already been mentioned that no matter what causes are responsible for your yellowing teeth and to what extent your teeth have been yellowed, it is always possible to go from yellow to white. At present, there are three ways by which this can be brought about. Each kind of these whitening remedies has been elaborated below:
- Home Whitening Remedies
- Professional Whitening Kits
- Over-the-Counter Whitening Products
Home Whitening Remedy- Using Baking Soda
Baking soda is one of the most effective whitening products when it comes to home remedies. It is capable of removing plaque from your teeth and of endowing them with a pearly white shine.
- What you have to do is get hold of a little of your generic tooth paste and mix it up with a little baking soda. You can use approximately one quarter tea spoon of baking soda.
- Now use this mixture as a tooth paste to brush your teeth.
- This process can be repeated a couple of times every week.
- Similarly, instead of tooth paste, you can also combine baking soda with hydrogen per oxide, lemon juice or vinegar.
- As a matter of fact, you can make a whitening mouthwash at your home all by yourself by mixing a little baking soda with a little hydrogen per oxide in a cup of water.
- Use this homemade mouth wash to rinse your mouth a couple of times during a week.
CAUTION: Although baking soda is very effective when it comes to the removal of stains or plaque, however it is also very abrasive in nature and if used in excess, it is capable of stripping off the enamel of your teeth.
Professional Whitening Kits
There are also many professional whitening kits present out there which are used by dentists mostly. However, you can also use these whitening kit at your home after proper recommendation from your dentist. This kit comes with a whitening gel conjugated with a customized mouth piece. You have to wear this customized mouth piece which is filled up with the formerly mentioned whitening gel. As a consequence, your teeth start to whiten and you end up with a bright and shining smile. This whitening kit may not yield as effective results as obtained from an in-office treatment since the concentration of hydrogen per oxide in this gel is comparatively low, however the end results are pretty significant.
You can also come across a wide array of over-the-counter whitening products which can easily be brought from any pharmacy or even your local drug store. The range of these products is quite diverse. You can find whitening pastes, mouth washes, tablets, gels, strips etc. Some examples of these products are: